Concession Entitlement Explained

The Skills Funding Agency will only fund tuition fees for those on Active Benefits in 2012/2013. However, Hammersmith & Fulham Adult Learning and Skills Service will still continue to help you financially if you are claiming income-related/means-tested benefit, such as Income Support.

If you are claiming any of the benefites listed below you will be asked to pay the published concessionary fee which represents a registration and exam fee. See below for a list of benefits.

Active Benefits

These benefits are designed to support people who are actively seeking employment. If you are claiming Active Benefits (guaranteed conc. fees) and are enrolling on a qualification course, please let us know as we will be able to claim most of your fees from the funding body. We must have your National Insurance number at the time of enrolment.

Financial help for those on active Benefits may be available to help with additional fees. Active Benefits are:

  • Job Seekers' Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance - Work Related Activity Group

For those claiming ESA Support Group, please see the other benefit categories below.

Other Benefits (may be accepted)

We will also accept the following benefits:

  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA Support Group) which replaces Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Council Tax Benefit (not single occupancy)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Guaranteed Pension Credits
  • Unwaged dependent of someone in receipt of benefits
  • Working Tax Credit - household income of less than £15,276

If you are on one of these benefits and the course will improve your chances of gaining employment you may be able to pay concessionary fees if you complete a declatation to this effect.

Other Claimants

You may still claim a concessionary fee if you are:

  • 19 or older and studying for your first full level 2 qualification, although you will need to pay for exams and materials. The concession fee may still apply even if you are not completing the full qualification in a single year
  • Between 19 and 24 years old and studying for your first full level 3 qualification

Proof of Entitlement

Proof of entitlement must be current, a letter, no more than three months before the date of enrolment. The JSA booklet is not acceptable proof.

Students under 19

Students must present proof of age witha birth certificate, passport or driving licence.